Live blog: Gaza under attack
Live Updates
Israeli authorities have issued a statement insisting that Ben Gurion International Airport continued to function as normal, despite threats from Hamas that it would begin targeting flights as of today.
However, Royal Jordanian Airlines has now cancelled all flights to Ben Gurion as a precaution, the carrier said. It has not operated a full service for over a month over security concerns.
23 Palestinians with serious injuries that could not be treated in Gaza arrived in Turkey overnight. They were ferried by a specialist plane for treatment.
The UN said on Wednesday that it grossely undestimated the level of destruction in Gaza. While it calculated that 50,000 people would be displaced, 350,000 have now been forced to flee their homes, the UN said.
According to Pernille Ironside, if the Israeli blockade is not eased, it will 18 years to rebuild the housing destroyed so far.
- 7 Palestinians killed in an Israeli airstrike on Rafah city overnight
- This is believed to include 3 top al-Qassam Brigades Hamas commanders; Mohamed Abu Shamala, Raed al-Attar and Mohamed Barhoum
- 42 others have been injured, Hamas ministry spokesman Hamas Ashraf al-Qodra told Anadolu Agency
- The US accused Israel of “targeting” its citizens and demanded an inquest into the arrest and police beating of Tarek Abu Khdeir – a Palestinian-American whose teenage cousin Mohamed was killed by Israeli settlers in July, sparking a wave of protests
- Controversy continued to rage over who carried out the kidnapping and murder of three Israeli settler teens back in June. A key Hamas figure caught on tape in Istanbul, bragging about the incident, although speculating is now rife about why Salach Al-Aruri would come out with such a statement now.
- Eleven Palestinians arrested in the West Bank overnight.
- According to Israeli sources, since the conflict resumed on Tuesday, 175 rockets and mortar shells have been fired at Israel from Gaza. Of those, 135 fell in Israeli territory and 24 were shot down by the Iron Dome missile defence system.
- The UN Security Council has issued a statement expressing "grave concern at the return to hostilities following the breach of the Egyptian-brokered humanitarian cease-fire." He said the council calls upon the parties "to reach an immediate humanitarian cease-fire" and resume talks in Cairo.
Lyall Grant said Security Council members are discussing a possible resolution that would call for a sustainable cease-fire.
Jordan has circulated such a resolution, but Jordanian Ambassador Dina Kawar told reporters Wednesday that "we're taking our time to talk to the Americans, to the Europeans" because "the whole idea is to have a Security Council that's effective." (AP)
- Since hostilities began on 7 July, at least 2,054 Palestinians have been killed and more than 10,000 others, according to the Palestinian Health Ministry.
- Meanwhile at least 67 Israelis, 64 soldiers and three civilians, have been killed.
A Turkey-based, exiled Hamas leader Salach Al-Aruri, was caught on film saying that the Hama's armed wing - the Izz al-Din al-Qassam Brigades - were responsible for the killing of three Israeli teenage settlers back in June.
"It has been said that it is an Israeli conspiracy, and I say it isn't," Aruri said.
"The al-Qassam's mujahedeen were the ones to carry out [the abduction] in show of support for the prisoners' hunger strike," he adds.