LIVE BLOG: Latest from war in Syria
- UN report confirms use of chemical weapons by Syrian government
- Russia and America continue to hold negotiations in a bid to strike a deal to end the civil war
- Kurdish forces pushed back by Turkish army as it takes control of Syrian territory previously controlled by the Islamic State group
Live Updates
A senior US official travelling with Biden said on Wednesday that Washington was providing Turkey's military with air cover, intelligence and advisers in its offensive.
"We want to help the Turks get ISIL off the border" between the two countries, the official told reporters on the condition of anonymity while using an alternative acronym for the IS group. "We'll have close air support if there's an operation," he added.
The United States has made it clear that "we don't and won't support them going north, and they can't without our air cover, so we've put a lid on them moving north," he said.
"I think we've put a lid on the Turks' biggest concern [which] gives us breathing space to make sure the Jarablus operation is done the right way."
The pro-Kurdish People's Democracy Party (HDP) said that parliament has not been informed thus far about the Turkish Armed Forces' operations in northern Syria against the Islamic State group.
"This decision is Erdogan and the AKP piling on mistake after mistake in its Syria policy and will perhaps will be the biggest irreversible mistake as far as the region’s people are concerned," said HDP parliamentary group leader Idris Baluken.
He also warned the operations would drag Turkey deeper into the Syrian war.
US Vice President Joe Biden has warned that the pro-Kurdish People's Protection Unit (YPG) would lose the support of the US if they "spread across" the Euphrates.
Speaking at a joint press conference with Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim on Wednesday, Biden warned that the air support and supplies that the US currently gives to the YPG would be cut off if there was any attempt to expand the YPG's influence west of the Euphrates.
"PYD and YPG should not spread across the Euphrates," said Biden. "If they do they will never get US support again."
The US has backed the YPG in its fight against the Islamic State group, but Turkey has been concerned that the YPG and its political wing the Democratic Union Party (PYD) are looking to form a contiguous Kurdish entity across the whole Turkish-Syrian border.
Biden reaffirmed his support for Turkey's elected government and denied that the US was either aware or in any way supported the coup attempt that took place on 15 July.
"The coup attempt was an attack on Turkey’s democratic institutions. I am here to show the unwavering support of the United States for Turkey. We are ready to provide any assistance that Turkey requests. We will always defend democracy. President Obama was one of the first leaders to show his backing for the Turkish government."
He also said the US was working with Turkey on the extradition of US-based cleric Fethullah Gulen, whom Turkey blames for the coup attempt, stating that the US had no interest in "protecting anyone who has done harm to an ally".
The People's Protection Units (YPG) have announced that "at the request of the US-backed SDF (Syrian Democratic Forces)" they will withdraw from the territory captured to the west of the Euphrates.
The announcement comes shortly after comments made by US Vice President Joe Biden in which he warned that the YPG would "never get US support again" if they spread out across the west of the Euphrates.
However, the announcement only applies to the largely Kurdish YPG - Arab units of the SDF coalition will remain in control of the areas captured.
Free Syrian Army fighters, backed by Turkish armed forces, have entered the centre of Islamic State-controlled Jarablus in northern Syria, according to Turkish state media.
Around 5,000 FSA fighters from a variety of different local groups are thought to be taking part in the operation to drive IS from Jarablus, which was launched by the Turkish military on Wednesday morning.
20 tanks and up to 20 armored vehicles are involved in Turkey's offensive on Jarablus in the operation, aiming to secure control over a 70km region, according to Hurriyet daily news.
Around 5,000 Free Syrian Army fighters, including members of the Sultan Murat Brigade, Suqur al-Jeber, Sham Front and Faylaq al-Sham, are also thought to be involved in the operation.