Skip to main content
Live |

Live: Tehran dismisses Trump 'economic warfare' threats

Live
Live: Tehran dismisses Trump 'economic warfare' threats
Iran's Araghchi says Trump's 'Economic D-Day' is a diversion from US domestic problems
Key Points
Israel's defence minister said that Erdogan is 'dragging Turkey into dangerous adventures in Syria'
Israeli shelling targets southern Lebanese towns
Israeli authorities release body of slain Palestinian child held since March

Live Updates

1 week ago

The Pentagon confirmed to Congress that US attacks against Houthis in Yemen last year killed 153 civilians and injured 243 others, The Hill reported.

In a 12-page report sent to  the Senate Armed Services Committee on Monday, three incidents were detailed in the month of April last year. 

On 6 April, 2025, five civilians were killed in Sanaa. A few days afterwards on 17 April, a strike on Ras Isa port killed 80 people. Another strike in late April killed 47 others. 

According to the report, the Pentagon indicated that there are 15 more incidents that remain under review.

1 week ago

US President Donald Trump told reporters that he does not "trust Iran", and further claimed that the US has full control over the vital Strait of Hormuz.

He said that the current situation with Tehran is "going fine – going just absolutely fine."

"We totally control the Strait of Hormuz. We have control over it; nobody else, only us," Trump added. "Our navy is unbelievable, and things going great for our country."

"I don’t trust Iran. I’m the last person to trust Iran; they’ve lied to me constantly. We have total control over the Hormuz Strait right now; they don’t have control."

1 week ago

Qatar’s Foreign Ministry has issued a statement condemning Colombia's support of Israeli claims over the occupied Syrian Golan Heights, joining several other countries in its criticism. 

"The Ministry of Foreign Affairs reiterates Qatar's principled and unwavering position that the Golan Heights is occupied Arab territory, emphasizing the need for Israel to comply with international law and withdraw from all occupied Arab territories, including the Golan Heights," it said in a post on X. 

The Ministry warned that "any unilateral decisions recognising Israeli sovereignty over the Golan Heights will constitute a major obstacle to achieving peace in the region".

1 week ago

Israel and Venezuela announced the restoration of official diplomatic relations after 17 years of severed ties in mutual statements published on Tuesday. 

The rapprochement comes under acting Venezuelan President Delcy Rodriguez, who has realigned Venezuela towards the US since she took office in January, after the US abduction and imprisonment of then-President Nicolas Maduro.

US President Donald Trump has boasted of running Venezuela following the capture of Maduro.

In a statement posted on X, Israeli Foreign Minister Gideon Saar said that the two countries had "agreed to establish a coordination mechanism that will enable the provision of consular services to citizens of both countries".

Read more: Israel and Venezuela restore diplomatic relations after years of severed ties

Venezuela's interim President Delcy Rodriguez speaks during a press conference at the Generalisimo Francisco de Miranda Air Base in Caracas, on 2 July 2026 (Lucas Agauyo/AFP)
1 week ago

Israeli forces attacked agricultural land on Tuesday in the countryside of Syria’s Quneitra, according to local media reports. 

"Israeli occupation forces targeted agricultural land around Hamidiya village in the northern Quneitra countryside with three shells," Alikhbariah TV channel reported.

 Elsewhere in the province, Israeli troops set up a temporary military checkpoint in Kudna. 

1 week ago

Turkey has joined the growing list of mostly Muslim-majority states that have condemned Colombia's decision to recognise Israeli sovereignty over the occupied Golan Heights.

In a statement reported by the state-run Anadolu Agency, Turkey's foreign affairs ministry said that it strongly condemns “the statement made by Colombia to legitimize the Israeli occupation of the Golan Heights, which is an integral part of Syria”.

“We reiterate our call for the international community to do its part to end Israel’s occupation of southern Syria, including the Golan Heights, and its attacks targeting the country’s sovereignty and stability,” the statement added.

Syria, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait, Iraq and Palestine were among the states to also condemn Colombia's move earlier today.

1 week ago

Four US-based rights groups sued the Trump administration on Tuesday for its sanctions on the International Criminal Court (ICC).

In a statement, the American Friends Service Committee, the Center for Constitutional Rights, Human Rights Watch, and the Open Society Institute called the sanctions "blatantly illegal". 

They said they are being forced "to curtail a wide range of human rights and legal work in violation of... First and Fifth Amendment rights under the US Constitution and under the Religious Freedom Restoration Act", given that anyone who appears to associate with ICC cases or officials could now face legal repercussions. 

Just days after he assumed power in late January 2025, US President Donald Trump signed an executive order to sanction the ICC over its investigations into top Israeli officials.

British barrister Karim Khan, who was the ICC's chief prosecutor, was the only person named as a sanctioned individual.  

He has since been removed through a member states' vote, albeit due to sexual assault allegations. Khan has denied them. 

The executive order followed a White House visit by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who is wanted by the ICC over alleged war crimes and crimes against humanity committed in Gaza since October 2023.

Read more: US rights groups sue Trump administration over ICC sanctions

A man takes a photograph of the exterior of the International Criminal Court in The Hague, the Netherlands on 28 March 2026 (John Thys/AFP)
A man takes a photograph of the exterior of the International Criminal Court in The Hague, the Netherlands on 28 March 2026 (John Thys/AFP)

1 week ago

Israel has launched a “massive” bombing on the village of Haddatha in the Bint Jbeil district of southern Lebanon, the Lebanese state-run National News Agency (NNA) is reporting. 

This is a developing story. We will bring you updates as soon as we have them.

1 week ago

Good evening Middle East Eye readers,

If you're just joining us, here's an update on the day's key developments:

  • Saudi Arabia opposed Egypt joining the Mecca Joint Defence Agreement signed with Turkey and Pakistan last week, despite Ankara's push for Cairo to be included in the pact, Middle East Eye exclusively reported.

  • Pakistan's Defence Minister Khawaja Asif said that the US and Iran are close to "some sort of an arrangement".

  • Yemen's coastguard has said that at least six people were killed in alleged strikes by the Houthi rebel group on a cargo vessel near the Bab el-Mandeb Strait on Tuesday.

  • The US, meanwhile, claimed an attack on a Panama-flagged cargo vessel that attempted to travel through the Gulf of Oman in violation of the unilateral US blockade of Iranian ports. 

  • A Damascus court sentenced Syria's former president Bashar al-Assad, his brother Maher and former security official Atef Najib to death on Tuesday on charges of murder, torture and incitement to murder.

  • Israel and Venezuela have announced the restoration of their diplomatic relations after years of severed ties.

1 week ago

The US has claimed an attack on a Panama-flagged cargo vessel that attempted to travel through the Gulf of Oman in violation of the unilateral US blockade of Iranian ports. 

"A US Navy MH-60 helicopter fired two hellfire missiles into the Vela Nova’s engine room after the ship’s civilian crew ignored repeated warnings from American forces," said a statement posted by the US Central Command on X. 

"The ship is no longer transiting to Iran in violation of the US blockade, which remains in full effect," the statement added. 

The US said that the attack, first reported earlier today by The Wall Street Journal, was one of 60 instances where the US has blocked ships attempting to transit through the blockade.

No casualties were reported. 

1 week ago

Yemen’s Houthis have said that they have attacked a Saudi ship carrying military equipment in the Bab el-Mandeb Strait, the Houthi-run Saba news agency is reporting.

This is a developing story. We'll bring you more information as soon as we have it. 

1 week ago

Saudi Arabia opposed Egypt joining the Mecca Joint Defence Agreement signed with Turkey and Pakistan last week, despite Ankara's push for Cairo to be included in the pact, three Saudi sources familiar with the discussions told Middle East Eye.

One of the sources, a former senior adviser to the Saudi monarchy, said Riyadh did not want Egypt to join the agreement "at least for now".

All three sources, however, who spoke on condition of anonymity due to the sensitive nature of the issue, said the Saudi position was driven by a growing frustration with President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi's government and a belief in Riyadh that Egypt no longer offered the strategic or military value it once did.

The Mecca Joint Defence Agreement, which was signed in the Holy Muslim city of Mecca on Friday, commits Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Pakistan to regard an armed attack against any one of the three countries as an attack against all three. 

Saudi officials have described it as a mechanism to strengthen joint defence capabilities, despite the agreement being vague on operational mechanisms, specific triggers, and how joint military assistance would actually be executed in a crisis. 

According to the sources, the Saudi decision to oppose Egypt's entry was due to simmering tensions between Riyadh and Cairo.

They said that Saudi Arabia was the biggest financial supporter of Sisi's government after he seized power in a 2013 coup, initially spending around $25b to shore up Cairo's flagging economy, but Riyadh had become frustrated by what it regards as a lack of reciprocal support on key security issues.

Read more: Saudi Arabia opposed Egypt's inclusion in Mecca agreement, sources say

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan (L), Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman (C), and Pakistani Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif pose after signing a joint defence agreement in Mecca, Saudi Arabia, on 7 August 2026 (Turkish presidential press office/Handout via Reuters)
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan (L), Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman (C), and Pakistani Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif pose after signing a joint defence agreement in Mecca, Saudi Arabia,

1 week ago

Israel and Venezuela have announced the restoration of their diplomatic relations after 17 years of severed ties. 

In a statement posted on X, Israeli Foreign Minister Gideon Saar said the two countries had "agreed to establish a coordination mechanism that will enable the provision of consular services to citizens of both countries".

Venezuela originally severed its consular relations with Israel in 2009 under the leftist president Hugo Chavez. 

Relations have improved under acting Venezuelan president Delcy Rodriguez, who has held office since the US abducted Chavez's successor, Nicolas Maduro, in January. 

The announcement comes after neighbouring Colombia recognised Israeli sovereignty over the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights earlier today. Colombia's new far-right president, Abelardo de la Espriella, announced plans to normalise relations with Israel last month. 

1 week ago

UK Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband has called on Israel to withdraw from Gaza and curb its settlements in the occupied West Bank, in his first call with his Israeli counterpart, Gideon Saar.

In a statement posted on X, Miliband said that he told Israel it "must crack down on settler violence and must immediately end blockages on aid into Gaza".

"I reiterated that Hamas must decommission its weapons, the IDF [Israeli military] should withdraw, and that we must see progress on the 20-point plan," the statement added, referring to the ongoing peace negotiations between Israel and Hamas. 

The statement added that the two foreign ministers also discussed what Miliband called the UK and Israel's "vital strategic interest" in preventing Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon, and reiterated the UK's "commitment" to reaching a two-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. 

Miliband, who was appointed as Foreign Secretary last month by the new UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham, has faced pressure from backbench MPs within his party to take a tougher stance on Israel's genocide in Gaza, where over 73,000 Palestinians have been killed since October 2023. 

He is the first person of Jewish descent to hold the role of UK Foreign Secretary since his brother, David Miliband, served in that position from 2007 until 2010. 

1 week ago

Yemen's coastguard has said that at least six people were killed in alleged strikes by the Houthi rebel group on a cargo vessel near the Bab el-Mandeb Strait on Tuesday.

The coastguard, which is controlled by Yemen's internationally recognised government, also accused the Houthis of attacking a rescue mission evacuating the ship following the attack.

"The attack struck the site of the rescue operation and resulted in deaths and injuries among the forces participating in the response operation," the coastguard said in a statement.

Three Pakistani nationals and one Indonesian national were among the crew onboard the ship killed in the attack, the statement added.