Palestine groups call for London march against British 'complicity' in Gaza genocide
Palestine solidarity groups in the UK have called for a national march in London to mark three years of Israel’s genocide in Gaza and demand an end to what they denounce as British complicity.
The demonstration will take place on 10 October, three days after the anniversary of Israel’s war on Gaza, according to a joint statement published on Wednesday.
The organisers include the Palestine Solidarity Campaign, Palestinian Forum in Britain, Stop the War Coalition, Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament, Friends of Al-Aqsa and the Muslim Association of Britain.
“Nearly three years into Israel’s continuing genocide in Gaza, Palestinians still face killing, starvation and displacement, while British-funded humanitarian aid remains subject to Israeli restrictions,” the groups said.
They called on the British government to press for an end to Israeli attacks and secure unrestricted humanitarian access to Gaza.
New MEE newsletter: Jerusalem Dispatch
Sign up to get the latest insights and analysis on Israel-Palestine, alongside Turkey Unpacked and other MEE newsletters
The statement also highlighted Israel’s accelerating settlement expansion, settler attacks and tightening restrictions on Al-Aqsa Mosque across the occupied West Bank, including East Jerusalem.
“A year on from the UK’s recognition of the State of Palestine, that decision has yet to be matched by action,” they said.
The call comes as Israel continues to attack Gaza despite the ceasefire agreed in October last year.
Israeli attacks killed 10 Palestinians and wounded 25 others during the latest 24-hour reporting period, the Palestinian Ministry of Health said on Thursday.
Since the ceasefire began, Israeli forces have killed at least 1,283 Palestinians and wounded 4,248, according to the ministry.
The latest figures bring the recorded Palestinian death toll to 73,417 since Israel launched its war on Gaza on 7 October 2023. Thousands more are believed to be dead, buried under the ruble. At least 174,360 Palestinians have been injured during the onslaught.
The coalition urged the government to halt arms sales to Israel and suspend military and intelligence assistance that enables Israeli violations of international law.
“Britain’s commitment to international law cannot be hostage to Israel’s election timetable,” the statement said.
The organisers urged supporters from across Britain to join the march, “demanding justice and an end to British complicity”.
Middle East Eye delivers independent and unrivalled coverage and analysis of the Middle East, North Africa and beyond. To learn more about republishing this content and the associated fees, please fill out this form. More about MEE can be found here.