Skip to main content

US 'on verge' of ending Syria talks with Russia: Kerry

One top UN aid official called situation in Aleppo a "merciless abyss of humanitarian catastrophe"
US Secretary of State John Kerry speaks during Security Council meeting at United Nations in New York last week about situation in Syria (AFP)

US Secretary of State John Kerry warned on Thursday that Washington was on the brink of breaking off talks with Russia on the Syrian conflict over the assault on Aleppo.

"I think we are on the verge of suspending the discussion because, you know, it's irrational in the context of the kind of bombing taking place, to be sitting there, trying to take things seriously," Kerry said.

"There is no notion or indication of seriousness of purpose with what is taking place right now," he told a conference in the US capital, a day after warning his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov he would end talks unless Moscow halts the assault on Aleppo.

Kerry said the US would pursue other alternatives, "barring some clear indication by the warring parties that they are prepared to consider how to approach this more effectively".

A Kremlin spokesman, Dmitry Peskov, said Moscow would press on with its bombing campaign in Syria, where forces loyal to President Bashar al-Assad are waging a furious assault on Aleppo's rebel-held eastern sector.

New MEE newsletter: Jerusalem Dispatch

Sign up to get the latest insights and analysis on Israel-Palestine, alongside Turkey Unpacked and other MEE newsletters

A top UN aid official called the situation in Aleppo a "merciless abyss of humanitarian catastrophe," in the latest appeal for a halt to fighting.

Kerry's efforts to broker a ceasefire have come under fire from Republicans who have called for tougher action against Moscow and the Syrian government.

"It's easy to be critical of diplomatic efforts because it's difficult, but what is the alternative?" Kerry said.

He said the US would defeat Islamic State militants operating in Syria and Iraq, "but that is different and distinct from involving ourselves directly into the civil war which is the war against Assad".

His comments echoed those of President Barack Obama, who insisted on Wednesday that "there is not a scenario in which, absent us deploying large numbers of troops, we can stop a civil war in which both sides are deeply dug in".

Middle East Eye delivers independent and unrivalled coverage and analysis of the Middle East, North Africa and beyond. To learn more about republishing this content and the associated fees, please fill out this form. More about MEE can be found here.