Skip to main content
Live |

Live: Trump says US not seeking to extend interim deal with Iran

Live
Live: Trump says US not seeking to extend interim deal with Iran
Meanwhile, Iran's IRGC rejects Trump’s claims of backchannel talks with US
Key Points
Netanyahu hails 'deep and constructive' talks with Trump's 'Board of Peace' on Gaza plan
Trump says US could bomb Oman if it ‘gets in the way’
Iran says Hormuz transit route deal reached with Oman
A boy carries a table past workers salvaging rubble from a building destroyed during the war in Gaza City, 16 August 2026 (Omar Al-Qattaa/AFP)

Live Updates

5 days ago

Good morning Middle East Eye readers,

These are some of the latest developments from across the region: 

  • US President Donald Trump told reporters that he does not "trust Iran", and further claimed that the US has full control over the vital Strait of Hormuz. "I don’t trust Iran. I’m the last person to trust Iran; they’ve lied to me constantly. We have total control over the Hormuz Strait right now; they don’t have control," he said. 

  • An attack on a commercial vessel in the Red Sea killed at least three Pakistani nationals and left another wounded, Islamabad's foreign minister said on Wednesday. "Pakistan strongly condemns the Houthi attack on a non-combatant commercial vessel," Ishaq Dar said in a post on X.

  • Kurdish news media is reporting that Iranian missiles and drones have targeted a number of locations in Iraq's Erbil, including attacks in the districts of Soran, Khalifan and Harir.

  • Israeli attacks on southern Lebanon remain ongoing, with one military drone targeting a gathering of people, leaving several wounded. Meanwhile, large explosions were reported in the towns of Haddatha and Beit Yahoun. Reports on the casualties or damage caused to the areas remain unclear. 

  • Libya's General Electricity Company said that an attack on the South Zawiya substation caused a complete wide-scale outage and loss of power supply to a number of areas in the south of Zawiya. The company warned that the attacks may cause more delays in maintenance and restoration of electricity services.

  • Several countries, including Qatar, Syria, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Iraq, Palestine and Turkey, have condemned Colombia's support of Israeli claims over the occupied Syrian Golan Heights. 

  • Israeli forces attacked agricultural land on Tuesday in the countryside of Syria’s Quneitra, according to local media reports. Elsewhere in the province, Israeli troops set up a temporary military checkpoint in Kudna. 

  • The Pentagon confirmed to Congress that US attacks against Houthis in Yemen last year killed 153 civilians and injured 243 others, The Hill reported. In a 12-page report sent to  the Senate Armed Services Committee on Monday, three incidents were detailed in the month of April last year. There are 15 more incidents that remain under review.

5 days ago

An attack on a commercial vessel in the Red Sea killed at least three Pakistani nationals and left another wounded, Islamabad's foreign minister said on Wednesday. 

"Pakistan strongly condemns the Houthi attack on a non-combatant commercial vessel," Ishaq Dar said in a post on X.

"Such attacks endanger innocent lives, constitute a violation of international law, and pose a serious threat to freedom of navigation, maritime security, and the safety of commercial shipping in the Red Sea."

He added that Pakistan is closely following the situation and will remain in contact with relevant authorities.

5 days ago

Kurdish news media is reporting that Iranian missiles and drones have targeted a number of locations in Iraq's Erbil, including attacks in the districts of Soran, Khalifan and Harir.

5 days ago

Israeli attacks on southern Lebanon remain ongoing, with one military drone targeting a gathering of people, leaving several wounded. 

Meanwhile, large explosions were reported in the towns of Haddatha and Beit Yahoun. Reports on the casualties or damage caused to the areas have not been released. 

5 days ago

Libya's General Electricity Company said that an attack on the South Zawiya substation caused a complete wide-scale outage and loss of power supply to a number of areas in the south of Zawiya. 

The company added that repeated targeting have lead to severe damage to the Zawiya power station, and has forced it to withdraw its technical teams.

It warned that the attacks may cause more delays in maintenance and restoration of electricity services.

5 days ago

Houthi military spokesperson Yahya Saree said that missile and drone strikes targeting military sites in Marib and Mocha killed and injured dozens of people.

In a statement carried by the Houthi-run Saba news agency, he indicated that targets were forces linked to Saudi Arabia. The attacks left "dozens killed and injured," including Saudis.

5 days ago

US President Donald Trump claimed that he was "at greater risk" when boarding the plane he flew on after he secretly took a military flight from Turkey last month.

"I think actually the plane that I flew on was at greater risk," Trump told reporters. "I think it was at greater risk because that would be the plane I think that they would be more likely to go for."

Earlier, The Washington Post broke the story that Trump secretly left Ankara on the military aircraft amid an alleged Iranian assassination threat.

5 days ago

A drone that targeted a power station in Libya’s western city of Zawiya early on Wednesday ignited a fire at the facility, according to local media reports. 

No official statement has been released regarding possible casualties or the extent of damage. Furthermore, no group has claimed responsibility for the attack. 

5 days ago

The Pentagon confirmed to Congress that US attacks against Houthis in Yemen last year killed 153 civilians and injured 243 others, The Hill reported.

In a 12-page report sent to  the Senate Armed Services Committee on Monday, three incidents were detailed in the month of April last year. 

On 6 April, 2025, five civilians were killed in Sanaa. A few days afterwards on 17 April, a strike on Ras Isa port killed 80 people. Another strike in late April killed 47 others. 

According to the report, the Pentagon indicated that there are 15 more incidents that remain under review.

5 days ago

US President Donald Trump told reporters that he does not "trust Iran", and further claimed that the US has full control over the vital Strait of Hormuz.

He said that the current situation with Tehran is "going fine – going just absolutely fine."

"We totally control the Strait of Hormuz. We have control over it; nobody else, only us," Trump added. "Our navy is unbelievable, and things going great for our country."

"I don’t trust Iran. I’m the last person to trust Iran; they’ve lied to me constantly. We have total control over the Hormuz Strait right now; they don’t have control."

5 days ago

Qatar’s Foreign Ministry has issued a statement condemning Colombia's support of Israeli claims over the occupied Syrian Golan Heights, joining several other countries in its criticism. 

"The Ministry of Foreign Affairs reiterates Qatar's principled and unwavering position that the Golan Heights is occupied Arab territory, emphasizing the need for Israel to comply with international law and withdraw from all occupied Arab territories, including the Golan Heights," it said in a post on X. 

The Ministry warned that "any unilateral decisions recognising Israeli sovereignty over the Golan Heights will constitute a major obstacle to achieving peace in the region".

5 days ago

Israel and Venezuela announced the restoration of official diplomatic relations after 17 years of severed ties in mutual statements published on Tuesday. 

The rapprochement comes under acting Venezuelan President Delcy Rodriguez, who has realigned Venezuela towards the US since she took office in January, after the US abduction and imprisonment of then-President Nicolas Maduro.

US President Donald Trump has boasted of running Venezuela following the capture of Maduro.

In a statement posted on X, Israeli Foreign Minister Gideon Saar said that the two countries had "agreed to establish a coordination mechanism that will enable the provision of consular services to citizens of both countries".

Read more: Israel and Venezuela restore diplomatic relations after years of severed ties

Venezuela's interim President Delcy Rodriguez speaks during a press conference at the Generalisimo Francisco de Miranda Air Base in Caracas, on 2 July 2026 (Lucas Agauyo/AFP)
5 days ago

Israeli forces attacked agricultural land on Tuesday in the countryside of Syria’s Quneitra, according to local media reports. 

"Israeli occupation forces targeted agricultural land around Hamidiya village in the northern Quneitra countryside with three shells," Alikhbariah TV channel reported.

 Elsewhere in the province, Israeli troops set up a temporary military checkpoint in Kudna. 

5 days ago

Turkey has joined the growing list of mostly Muslim-majority states that have condemned Colombia's decision to recognise Israeli sovereignty over the occupied Golan Heights.

In a statement reported by the state-run Anadolu Agency, Turkey's foreign affairs ministry said that it strongly condemns “the statement made by Colombia to legitimize the Israeli occupation of the Golan Heights, which is an integral part of Syria”.

“We reiterate our call for the international community to do its part to end Israel’s occupation of southern Syria, including the Golan Heights, and its attacks targeting the country’s sovereignty and stability,” the statement added.

Syria, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait, Iraq and Palestine were among the states to also condemn Colombia's move earlier today.

5 days ago

Four US-based rights groups sued the Trump administration on Tuesday for its sanctions on the International Criminal Court (ICC).

In a statement, the American Friends Service Committee, the Center for Constitutional Rights, Human Rights Watch, and the Open Society Institute called the sanctions "blatantly illegal". 

They said they are being forced "to curtail a wide range of human rights and legal work in violation of... First and Fifth Amendment rights under the US Constitution and under the Religious Freedom Restoration Act", given that anyone who appears to associate with ICC cases or officials could now face legal repercussions. 

Just days after he assumed power in late January 2025, US President Donald Trump signed an executive order to sanction the ICC over its investigations into top Israeli officials.

British barrister Karim Khan, who was the ICC's chief prosecutor, was the only person named as a sanctioned individual.  

He has since been removed through a member states' vote, albeit due to sexual assault allegations. Khan has denied them. 

The executive order followed a White House visit by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who is wanted by the ICC over alleged war crimes and crimes against humanity committed in Gaza since October 2023.

Read more: US rights groups sue Trump administration over ICC sanctions

A man takes a photograph of the exterior of the International Criminal Court in The Hague, the Netherlands on 28 March 2026 (John Thys/AFP)
A man takes a photograph of the exterior of the International Criminal Court in The Hague, the Netherlands on 28 March 2026 (John Thys/AFP)