Skip to main content
Live |

Live: Trump says he views Hormuz as 'American territory right now'

Live
Live: Trump says he views Hormuz as 'American territory right now'
Iran calls new US sanctions 'declaration of war' on all nations
Key Points
Israeli forces shell towns in southern Lebanon, continue demolitions
UKMTO says Hormuz traffic just 20 percent of pre-war levels
Israeli forces make fresh incursion into Syria's Quneitra

Live Updates

1 week ago

Israel has rejected US President Donald Trump's 15-point plan for Gaza and will not withdraw until Hamas fully disarms, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Sunday.

The Board of Peace, spearheaded by Trump, announced last month that it had made a breakthrough in a plan to end the war.

Israel and Hamas agreed to the plan last year, beginning with a ceasefire. Israel has continued to carry out near-daily strikes on Gaza since agreeing to the ceasefire last October.

Trump said that Hamas had agreed to lay down its weapons.

“Israel rejects the 15-point document,” Netanyahu said at a cabinet meeting on Sunday.

Read more: Israel rejects Trump's 15-point plan for Gaza, says Netanyahu

A beekeeper tends to beehives with his sons on the roof of a destroyed building in Gaza City’s Tel al-Hawa neighbourhood on 5 August 2026 (Omar al-Qattaa/AFP)

1 week ago

US President Donald Trump has shared an opinion piece by former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton backing his proposal for Gaza, after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu rejected the plan.

Trump posted the Financial Times article on his Truth Social platform in his first public response since Netanyahu dismissed the Board of Peace’s 15-point roadmap on Sunday.

The US president did not directly address the Israeli leader’s rejection or say whether Washington would pressure Israel to accept the proposal.

Clinton published the article in June, before Trump announced what he later described as a finalised agreement.

“The world may not like Trump’s Gaza plan – but there is no alternative,” Clinton wrote.

“If even I, an implacable opponent of the president, can accept this as the best option, then surely others can too?”

1 week ago

Israel will not have to withdraw its forces from Gaza until Palestinian groups surrender their weapons under the Board of Peace’s plan, its senior envoy has said contradicting his earlier position stating that it did.

Speaking to Israel’s Channel 12, Nikolay Mladenov said any withdrawal would follow the verified decommissioning of weapons.

“Nobody is required to do anything. Last of all, Israel, before we actually have verified steps on the ground.”

Mladenov spoke hours after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu rejected the board’s 15-point roadmap. He said Israel would retain the right to launch military attacks against what it considered imminent threats.

Turkey and Qatar would help verify compliance, he added, although the US would control the process.

“I'm not building any of this on the basis of trust. And none of us are. And we're very clear-eyed about the risks going forward,” Mladenov said.

1 week ago

An Israeli Air Force pilot trainee died by suicide at a military base in southern Israel on Sunday.

At least 18 active-duty Israeli soldiers have died by suicide since the start of 2026, according to data compiled by the Israeli newspaper Haaretz.

1 week ago

Iran’s Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei has named former Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps commander Mohsen Rezaee as secretary of the Supreme National Security Council.

Rezaee will also serve as Khamenei’s representative on the council, placing him at the centre of Iran’s security and defence decision-making.

He succeeds Mohammad Bagher Zolghadr, who took over the position after US-Israeli attacks assassinated Ali Larijani in March.

Rezaee previously commanded the IRGC and currently sits on Iran’s Expediency Discernment Council. The body mediates disputes between parliament and the Guardian Council, which reviews legislation and vets candidates seeking public office.

The veteran commander played a leading military role during the Iran-Iraq War of the 1980s. Khamenei appointed Zolghadr as his political adviser as part of the leadership reshuffle.

1 week ago

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty has called for Israel to withdraw completely from Gaza and allow the sustained delivery of humanitarian aid under US President Donald Trump’s peace plan.

Abdelatty made the demand during a telephone conversation with Nikolay Mladenov, director-general of Trump’s Board of Peace, Egypt’s Foreign Ministry said in a statement.

The two officials reviewed efforts to implement the plan and discussed the proposed deployment of the International Stabilization Force, which is expected to assume responsibility for security inside the Palestinian territory.

Cairo has repeatedly pressed for an Israeli withdrawal and rejected any attempt to displace Palestinians from Gaza or place the enclave under permanent Israeli control.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu formally rejected the 15-point peace proposal on Sunday, casting further doubt on its implementation.

1 week ago

US President Donald Trump says Washington is “only semi-negotiating” with Iran.

Trump speaking to Axios claimed that Iran was in “very bad shape”, pointing to soaring inflation and “the fact they have no money”.

He said Tehran could not afford to pay its soldiers and credited the US naval blockade with worsening its financial troubles.

Trump made no mention of the war’s economic toll on the US. Higher fuel prices have cost ordinary Americans about $80bn, while military operations have cost more than $100bn.

“It will work out. It always works out. It's like a chess game,” Trump said. “We are low-keying it.”

1 week ago

US President Donald Trump is prepared to declare victory in the war with Iran if Tehran restores shipping through the Strait of Hormuz, according to The Wall Street Journal.

US officials told the newspaper that Trump has privately indicated he could abandon efforts to secure a nuclear agreement with Iran in return for reopening the strategic waterway.

Trump is reportedly willing to let negotiations continue, particularly while petrol prices in the US remain stable.

A White House official said Washington had achieved its military objectives in Iran and that Trump was now prioritising the movement of oil through the strait. The US would maintain forces in the region and could attack Iran again if Tehran targeted vessels, the report added.

Trump also believes Iran cannot rebuild its nuclear facilities during his presidency after US forces struck three sites during the June 2025 war. He expects US intelligence to detect any reconstruction work and believes the threat of further attacks will deter Tehran, according to the newspaper.

Officials said Trump could extend the ceasefire indefinitely and end the US naval blockade if shipping resumes and Washington retains the ability to prevent Iran from restoring its nuclear programme.

1 week ago

Iran will defend its position in the Strait of Hormuz “at any cost”, the head of the country’s Expediency Council has said.

Ayatollah Amoli Larijani, a former chief justice, said Tehran holds sovereignty over the strategic waterway despite efforts by its “enemies” to encircle the country, according to state broadcaster IRIB.

The Expediency Council advises Iran’s supreme leader and mediates disputes within the country’s political system.

1 week ago

Strikes by Yemen's Houthis on Sunday killed at least 11 people, a medical source in the Yemeni port city of Mokha has told AFP, after an earlier drone salvo targeted a Saudi oil refinery on the Red Sea coast.

A years-long truce in Yemen's civil war between the Houthis and the Saudi-backed internationally recognised government appeared to collapse last month.

It came as the Houthis announced a maritime blockade of Saudi Arabia, hitting Saudi tankers in the Red Sea and the kingdom's oil infrastructure, in parallel with Iran's blockade of the Strait of Hormuz.

A medical source in Mokha, held by Yemen's internationally recognised, Aden-based government, said three civilians and eight military personnel had been killed in the Houthi attacks. 

A further 32 individuals were wounded, six of them civilians, the source added, explaining all the civilian casualties had been a result of strikes on Mokha's port.

The Houthis' military spokesman Yahya Saree said the group had targeted "Saudi enemy" troops and equipment in the area with missiles and drones.

Earlier, Saree said the Houthis had struck an oil facility on Saudi Arabia's Red Sea coast after the Gulf kingdom's energy ministry said it had extinguished a fire at the Jazan site.

He added that the attack on the facility operated by Saudi Arabia's state-owned oil firm Aramco was launched in response to incursions by drones from the Gulf monarchy into northwest Yemen.

1 week ago

Israel has rejected US President Donald Trump's 15-point plan for Gaza and will not withdraw until Hamas fully disarms, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Sunday.

The Board of Peace, spearheaded by Trump, announced last month that it had made a breakthrough in a plan to end the war.

Israel and Hamas agreed to the plan last year, beginning with a ceasefire. Israel has continued to carry out near-daily strikes on Gaza since agreeing to the ceasefire last October.

Trump said that Hamas had agreed to lay down its weapons.

“Israel rejects the 15-point document,” Netanyahu said at a cabinet meeting on Sunday.

The Israeli army “will not carry out any withdrawal until Hamas is genuinely disarmed and will continue to thwart threats against our forces and our citizens”, he added.

Read more: Israel rejects Trump's 15-point plan for Gaza, says Netanyahu

A beekeeper tends to beehives with his sons on the roof of a destroyed building in Gaza City’s Tel al-Hawa neighbourhood on 5 August 2026 (Omar al-Qattaa/AFP)
A beekeeper tends to beehives with his sons on the roof of a destroyed building in Gaza City’s Tel al-Hawa neighbourhood on 5 August 2026 (Omar al-Qattaa/AFP)

1 week ago

Attacks by the Houthis in Yemen on Sunday killed at least four troops from the internationally-recognised government forces and wounded 20 more personnel, two military sources told AFP.

The initial toll came from strikes on the Yemeni city of Mokha and surrounding areas, as well as Khokha, south of the port city of Hodeida, the sources said on condition of anonymity, after the Houthis announced they had targeted military forces and equipment on the Red Sea coast. 

1 week ago

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian met Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei around the start of the president's third year in office in late July, state media said on Sunday.

On 21 July, the president said interactions with the supreme leader were "increasing day by day", though in early August he said communicating with Khamenei was "very difficult".

The late July meeting covered military affairs and the economy, including securing resources, managing foreign exchange and energy use, as well as economic ties with foreign partners, according to state media.

In May, state media also reported that Pezeshkian had met Khamenei for several hours, in what was then the first publicly reported meeting between the two since Khamenei became supreme leader.

Khamenei was reportedly seriously injured in the 28 February strike that killed his father and predecessor, Ali Khamenei.

Basij Organisation deputy Qasem Qoraishi said on Sunday that footage and other documentation showing Khamenei among the public and out in the streets, as well as in meetings with armed forces commanders, would be released in the future.

1 week ago

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said that he would prevent Iran from having nuclear weapons, a goal he has long alleged Tehran is pursuing, regardless of the course of negotiation efforts with Washington and Arab states.

"I want to emphasise once again: with an agreement or without an agreement, as long as I am prime minister, Iran will not have nuclear weapons," Netanyahu said at a cabinet meeting.

1 week ago

Footage of Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei "among the people and out in streets, as well in meetings with the commanders of armed forces" will be released in the future, Basij Organisation deputy Qasem Qoraishi reportedly said on Sunday.

Khamenei, who was appointed supreme leader in March, has not been seen in public since his appointment.

The report on the Iranian judiciary's news outlet Mizan appeared to be aimed at addressing speculation about his health.

Senior Iranian sources have said he suffered facial disfigurement and other injuries in the US-Israeli strike that killed his father on 28 February.